A few months ago we started getting a weekly organic produce box from Abundant Harvest (will post about it soon!). I swear every week we get carrots. I cannot stand carrots. Fresh, cooked, steamed, whatever. Gross. So naturally I turned something ridiculously healthy into something ridiculously terrible for you: Carrot Cake. I basically followed this recipe, making a few little changes (like no nuts).
Ingredients for Carrot Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners/powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 9″ x 13″ pan (grease). Set out butter and cream cheese (for icing) to soften)
2. In a large bowl combine eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla extract
3. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
4. Stir in carrots
5. Pour batter in pan and bake in oven for 40 – 50 minutes. It’s done when you can stick a toothpick in the middle and pull it out clean.
6. While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese frosting: In a bowl combine butter, cream cheese, confectioner’s/powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until creamy consistency.
7. Frost cake once cooled completely. Add optional carrot garnishing on top.
Since I didn’t need a giant, sugary, delicious cake in my house I cut half of it into little squares and put them in cupcake liners. I frosted them and sent them to work with my husband. He came back with compliments from co-workers and customers that contained words like “superb” and “amazing”. And we polished off the other half of the cake in 3 days.